WELCOME TO 40 OVER 40

What is the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the phrase "A woman in her forties"? I guess it depends who you are, where you are and most important, how old you are.

When I was a teenager, forty was old. Just plain old. My mom's age. History. Game over and waiting to die. Well, during those days I also considered legal drinking age as the beginning of adulthood, which I now know to be false. In my twenties I didn't think about women in their forties, I was thinking about boys. Which I still do, the only difference being that the boys I think about today are not neighbors boys but my own. Finally, in my thirties the big four zero was hanging in the horizon like a gigantic dark cloud, an issue which I would deal with when I'll have a minute from emails, to-do lists and kids homework.

Well, that minute is yet to come, but here I am. As I now stand at the doorstep of this magical era of forty something and being considered old by my own children, I want to take a look at other women in their forties. I want to show you how they see themselves. How does it feel to be a woman in her forties in todays world? Not how old or how young do they look but how do they look? Are Botox and supportive pantyhose really their best and/or only friends? Or could there be more important things in life?
.
40 over 40 is a photographic art project. The purpose of this project is to photograph 40 beautiful, gorgeous, lovely women in Chicago during summer 2009. To show you, me and the generations to follow that life's good, until you hit 40. That's when it becomes great!
.
These photographs are not just portraits, but my artistic interpretation of these lovely women in their prime. Stylists, hair and make up artists and some creative editing has been used for artistic purposes only.

No comments:

Post a Comment